Monday, February 8, 2010

V-day thoughts

Valentines Day has never been one of my favorite holidays. When I was growing up, I loved it. At breakfast there was always a special Valentines treat from my parents. Then of course there was the V-day party at school, complete with homemade Valentines mailboxes made out of shoe boxes. But once I got old enough to actually have a Valentine on V-day, I wasn't so much into it. It just seemed like too much pressure to make one certain day out of the whole year more lovable and special than all of the others! And most of the gifts advertised are just ridiculous anyways. This SNL digital short just says it all (the video quality is really bad): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAVnn29d1v0


My first V-day with Matt was about 2 months after we started dating. I knew by this point that I loved him- so that was basically my gift to him. He gave me a nice journal for me to write my thoughts about "us" in... I wrote in it once. Little did I know, the journal also contained a proposal that I wouldn't find until a year and 3 months later. Anyway, the next year he was busy with Sing Song and I think we exchanged gifts in a parking lot- lame. Our first V-day as a married couple, he was in film school and had stuff going on that night. Then last year was probably the best Vday ever-- we took a trip to San Diego where we had our biggest fight, followed by our most fun vacation together. Ha! C'est la vie.

This year, I was REALLY hoping to take another trip for Vday, which also falls on President's Day weekend. I have 1/2 day off on Friday and a full-day on Monday. We'll be lucky if Matt gets Saturday off, but he'll definitely be off on Sunday. So we'll see what happens. In the meantime, I've been trying to get into the Valentines spirit. When we have kids someday, I want to make it fun for them and not be a Grinchy Valentine. So I came up with this little craft project- I think it turned out pretty cute! Matt's first reaction was: "You cut up our Christmas cards?!?" But now he really likes it. So this year, our Valentines are: the Russells, the Maxwells pets, the Stewart family, Grandma Peterson, Audrey & Josh Lively, Terah Turner & fiance, the Hester kids, and the Walters family. We love each of you!



*pictures from our kitchen... yes we have a couch in our kitchen... more pics to come :)

No comments: