Sunday, April 25, 2010
We love our little pup!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Friday, April 23, 2010
Growing up I always despised mowing our family's yard. Looking back I should of complained less but I hated doing it. As I paced back and forth I would day dream of the day when I would either own a riding lawn mower or buy one of those state of the art robomowers that would cut your yard automatically! I have always been fascinated with robotic lawnmowers and still hope to own one one day but until then I love what this guy designed using a stack, a rope and a self propelled mower.
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Katie and I spent the weekend in San Diego visiting her close friend from ACU. Chelsea and her beautiful baby girl accompanied her husband, Patrick, to a math conference. We enjoyed our time together and had fun exploring San Diego's great museum area.
I shot everything on my iPhone and edited the short film on my iPhone as well. I tried laying down a soundtrack but it was too distracting during the interview portions...
Friday, April 16, 2010
1) My department had extra tickets to an event called Simply Shakespeare-- an annual event in its 20th year hosted by Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson. It's a live reading of a Shakespeare classic- this year it was "Much Ado About Nothing", my favorite! They invite their actor friends to participate, and it's mostly off-the-cuff and highly entertaining. Lots of assistants went last year, so I requested two tickets, for myself and Matt.
2) This year it was a smaller venue and we didn't have as many tickets, so I couldn't bring a +1.
3) Then I found out that only a few assistants were going, along with a handful of agents. AND the event was on the same evening that I had planned a "Life Unexpected" finale night with a couple of girlfriends. In all honesty, I'd rather go with Matt to events, so I told them to give away my ticket. (These tix were in high demand in the company.)
4) My colleagues literally laughed when I told them to give my ticket away... I believe their exact words were, "Hahaha, LOL, oh Katie, yes you are going, you need to go, you'll love it." So I canceled my girlfriend plans (Matt, btw, was also excited about watching the LU finale) and made plans to go to Simply Shakespeare instead.
5) When I arrived at the venue, it was much smaller than I expected. The theater holds about 300 people, and my seat was on the 4th row. When I sat down, one of my favorite assistant friends was there, so I immediately was relieved that I knew someone. I opened my program and lo... and... behold... I read that included in the musicians for the evening would be.....
Formerly of Nickel Creek, but still some of my favorite artists. I love Sara's most recent solo album and I've had Sean's "Fiction Family" album in my car CD player since last fall. I literally became giddy when I realized that they were playing.
Can anyone name all of these stars? What a fantastic event and truly an LA experience that I will never forget... if only Matt could have joined me. :)
Thursday, April 8, 2010
hole was covered in cobb webs. Thinking that there might be poisonous bugs I told him no! He stepped back a few feet, sat and looked up at me as if he was saying, "please dad." I again told him no. He reluctantly accepted. I realized that sometimes we know whats best even if they do not. :)
Anyways... as I was working I kept thinking upon my past of my dad the carpenter and my Grandpa the carpenter.
As I think upon my childhood with them I can always remember the smell of sawdust and their workshops. Grandpa's was a shed like shop in his backyard and Dad's was a concrete floored area behind his office at ACU.
The bed is coming together. I think Katie and I are going to finish the building part of it tonight and then start painting tomorrow night. We're kinda hoping to have it finished by Saturday because we have some of our friends from homegroup coming over and we want to show it off... hopefully it'll look good.
Tuesday, April 6, 2010
I added the link on my sidebar for Knock Off Wood, because I find myself visiting her site each day. I'm already starting to look around our apartment and think about future projects. Below is the bed we're currently building-- NOT our bed, but an example picture from the website. We're also painting ours white and "antiquing" it, though we're planning on making ours more of an ivory than stark white. We'll see. That's the part I'm most nervous about. (If you click on the pic, it will take you to the plans we're using.)
Monday, April 5, 2010
Also, Katie and I have decided to build a bed. We have been looking off and on on craigslist for the past year with no great success so we decided to build our own. Katie follows another blog called knockoffwood.blogspot.com and we are using Ana's plans from her website to build a potterybarn look alike bed. We still have alot to do to finish the bed but you can watch this timelapse video of us building the headboard and a portion of the footboard.