Friday, April 16, 2010

Simply Shakespeare

1) Last week an opportunity came about that I thought would be fun. 2) Then I didn't want to go. 3) Then I really didn't want to go. 4) Then I had to go anyways. 5) Then I was SO happy that I did and was a little giddy at the event.
Here's what went down:
1) My department had extra tickets to an event called Simply Shakespeare-- an annual event in its 20th year hosted by Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson. It's a live reading of a Shakespeare classic- this year it was "Much Ado About Nothing", my favorite! They invite their actor friends to participate, and it's mostly off-the-cuff and highly entertaining. Lots of assistants went last year, so I requested two tickets, for myself and Matt.
2) This year it was a smaller venue and we didn't have as many tickets, so I couldn't bring a +1.
3) Then I found out that only a few assistants were going, along with a handful of agents. AND the event was on the same evening that I had planned a "Life Unexpected" finale night with a couple of girlfriends. In all honesty, I'd rather go with Matt to events, so I told them to give away my ticket. (These tix were in high demand in the company.)
4) My colleagues literally laughed when I told them to give my ticket away... I believe their exact words were, "Hahaha, LOL, oh Katie, yes you are going, you need to go, you'll love it." So I canceled my girlfriend plans (Matt, btw, was also excited about watching the LU finale) and made plans to go to Simply Shakespeare instead.
5) When I arrived at the venue, it was much smaller than I expected. The theater holds about 300 people, and my seat was on the 4th row. When I sat down, one of my favorite assistant friends was there, so I immediately was relieved that I knew someone. I opened my program and lo... and... behold... I read that included in the musicians for the evening would be.....




SARA and SEAN WATKINS

Formerly of Nickel Creek, but still some of my favorite artists. I love Sara's most recent solo album and I've had Sean's "Fiction Family" album in my car CD player since last fall. I literally became giddy when I realized that they were playing.

If could go back and choose some times in my life to live over, this would be one of them. It was such a fantastic event- I laughed, I cried from laughing so much, I was in heaven listening to the Watkins, and sitting 20 feet away from Tom Hanks acting on stage isn't too shabby. Here are some of the people that were part of the act:



Can anyone name all of these stars? What a fantastic event and truly an LA experience that I will never forget... if only Matt could have joined me. :)
post signature

1 comment:

Chels said...

That looks like it was a blast! I would have loved it. Honestly I didn't know Nickel Creek split. I need you to keep me in the loop. Is that Balki (sp?) at the bottom :) See you in 2 days!