Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Hello iPod Nano. Hello my new watch.


Okay...
I have lots of passions in life.
One is my faith
One is my wife
One is my family
One is my dog... maybe dogs (later post)
One is my love of tech
One is my love of bags
One is my love of watches...


And that is what I am going to talk about today: my love of watches.
I have always loved watches probably because it was a piece of technology that you can wear with you 24/7! I had a collection of watches growing up and still do today. I clearly get this passion for the tickety tocks from my mom who takes this love to another level! :)
Fossil's Palm OS Watch
One of my favorite finds, and one that I had to be patient on for a couple of years, was Fossil's line of watches they created in conjunction with Palm. They were basically little Palm PDAs on your wrist! So cool but very limited in functionality and tough on batteries. They were also very expensive! Finally the lack of interest brought the prices down like crazy and I snagged one for around $75! Never really wore it but it is part of my tech colection. I was contemplating selling it a year ago to raise some money for Katie and Me but, surprising to me, Katie convinced me not to sell it. I am glad I didn't. It is a very unique watch.

I always have my eye on a couple of different watches and am always looking for that sale, clearance or ebay deal.
Casio PAW5000 Pathfinder
Recently I have been eyeing Casio's latest Pathfinder watch, the PAW5000. These pathfinder watches were always cool in my eyes but not very attractive. Great for camping but for everyday life they never worked. Well they just released a new Pathfinder which, I believe, is their first to include an analog face and a metal band option. It looks great but has a steep price tag for my budget. It will soon come down though... you just have to be patient.

Lately I have been fascinated with the idea of turning Apple's latest iPod Nano into a watch. I am positive that many companies are figuring this out because I am seeing more and more companies talk about this and even coming out with some early products. In all it is pretty easy because you just basically clip the Nano to a watch band and viola! However, I am not so easily convinced and want to see a totally new product that fully integrates the iPod Nano into a good looking band. I would love to see some kind of Metal band the continues the styling cues of the nano. To me, this could be a refresh of what fossil tried to do with palm. Granted, the nano is a locked device and apps, currently, can't be written for the new Nano but maybe a jailbreak process could create some cool apps that would allow you to access your calendar and/or your address book... who knows.. I am currently being patient and waiting for the write product to make it to market.
Here are a few current products or adaption of products already on the market:
If you click on the pics they will take you to the corresponding company.


post signature

No comments: