Friday, August 20, 2010

Living Simpler: Lose the TiVo!

I know... I know...
Just yesterday I was raving over my TiVo going on and on about how much I love it and how it allows me to save so much money throughout the year. Well, I am throwing that out.

I've been researching and found that since your TiVo never sleeps--because it continually records all day long which is part of its incredible coolness--it costs just under $50 of electricity annually! The crazy thing is this: If you do 15 laundry loads a month using cold wash and cold rinse it only costs around $22 annually. Your TiVo can easily cost you more in electricity then your washing machine!

Now I really don't have a great solution but chew on this...

Hulu offers most broadcast TV shows online after they premier and just recently they launched a new service called Hulu Plus. Hulu + gives you access to a huge catalog of old shows and gives you a "season pass" for all the Fall's new TV lineup. Essentially you could drop your $12 TiVo fee and purchase the $10 Hulu Plus subscription and still have access to all these great shows and since the TiVo can only record 2 shows at a time you would never have to sacrifice an episode on another channel due to 2 other shows being recorded.

So, you would be saving around $2 a month in subscription fees from TiVo in lieu of the Hulu + subscription AND you would be saving around $50 annually in energy costs. This would also allow you to have one less electronic gadget and make life a little simpler.... and cheaper.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is the first post in this series that I have not personally tinkered with. I've done the research but nothing hands on yet. However, I am cooking up a really crazy idea for Katie and me that would really bring simplistic living to another level. :)


post signature

No comments: