Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My New Super Fast Lens - Nikon 50mm f/1.4


Well it's not a $1500 Canon 50mm f/1.2 nor the mythical (and very expensive) Canon 50mm f/1.0 but this lens is still incredibly fast and has a very shallow depth of field all for $75 from ebay. The lens is entirely manual control with the focus and aperture adjusted on the lens body itself. There are no electronics at all in the construction and feels very solid due to it's metal body. Another great thing about this lens is it's locked focus points. The focus ring stops at it's infinity point and stops at it's macro focus point (around 1.5ft) for a total spin of around 180-200degress. These hard stops allows me to set focus points on a film set using either a follow focus or the lens itself. The modern Canon lenses have focus rings that continually spin and make it much more difficult to set focus marks.

Since this lens uses the Nikon F-mount I had to purchase an adapter that allows me to mount the lens to my Canon T2i. I bought one for $20 off Amazon made by fotodiox and so far I think it will work perfectly.


post signature

No comments: